Monday, June 10, 2019

Sandia Mountains Wilderness Loop Hike (Cienega, Crest, Cañoncito, and Faulty trails) - Ciblola National Forest































This was a long loop hike I did on our first full day visiting Albuquerque.  I wasn't totally committed to doing the loop, which is shaped more like a trapezoid, when I first started out. I had  only looked briefly at the trails map online, and the loop option looked a little long, owing to the fact that the returning sides of the hike required  an additional 1.8 miles of hiking.
 I first arrived at Sulphur Canyon in the warmth of last Monday's morning sunshine thinking this was my trailhead ( I told you I had only briefly looked at the trail info.). I couldn't find anything to write with to fill out my little fee ( $3.00) stub and was getting really frustrated with the whole process, when I was saved by the tiny pen in my Swiss Army credit card- sized tool kit that I keep in my backpack.
 I then drove up to the trailhead and began hiking on the paved Sulphur Canyon trail for a little ways until I decided it wasn't what I wanted ( little did I know I could have crossed over to the Cienega in a short distance). I returned to my car and then drove over to the Cienega trailhead and started out along the trail where water was flowing beside in  the tiny stream. Both Sulphur Canyon and Cienega picnic  areas were looking lush and green and would be lovely places to enjoy a repast.  There is no camping.
 Trail descriptions of the Cienega Trail ( FT 148) that you may see online or in guides may be a bit outdated.
  I soon discovered that many of the trees ( large cottonwoods, pines and box elders) that once shaded the stream trail have died. Much work appears to have been done in recent years cutting up downed limbs and re-building the trail. Bottom line: this is fairly open terrain now and you will feel hot, as I did, climbing steeply upwards on a sunny day. I saw only one other group on my way up. A dad was smartly slathering sunscreen on his two pre-school daughters, one of which he was carrying on his back.
The trail entered the Sandia Mountains Wilderness shortly after I passed the junction with the Faulty Trail  which I vaguely remembered from a trail description and knew I would use if I decided to a make a loop.I made good time over 2 plus miles to the crest despite 1600 foot elevation gain, the worst of which was definitely in the first  mile. I only occasionally stopped to look at flowers, admire the view behind me, or catch a breather where the shade seemed deep enough under a decent sized fir or pine.


Chokecherry, box elder and gambel oaks grew thickly trailside with their new access to sunshine previously controlled by the now deceased pines and firs. The live water of the stream didn't last long and as I got closer to the crest the landscape became dominated by oaks that were yet to leaf out.

 At the crest, the Pino Trail goes down the other side and there was chewed up post  of a sign that  indicates the intersection.
I enjoyed the views out to the city and to the nearby cliffs of gray limestone and then headed south on the  Crest Trail ( FT 130).


I still had thoughts that I that might return the way I came at this point, but when the trail, after an initial ascent, began going down and down and down to the intersection with the Canoñcito Trail (FT 150), I knew I was going for the loop rather than climbing back up. Another factor in this decision may have been that storms were in the forecast( the previous day we had just missed a strong one while driving on the east side of the Manzano Mountains) and the skies were quickly filling in with clouds. The sparsely forested crest is no place to be in a thunderstorm. Unfortunately, for this reason, I hurried through this segment which is definitely the highlight of the hike with mostly only low growing oaks which do not hinder  the spectacular views east, south and west.
 Another post( less chewed) showed me I had arrived at the Cañoncito Trail and I began to rapidly descend. I stopped for lunch where the conifers grew a little more thickly and then I was off again.
 This trail has not been maintained recently and does not appear to see much use either.There were downed trees, a few very rocky sections, and overgrown corridors. Plus, it's steeper and longer than the Cienega Trail as well. It's wasn't hard  to follow for someone like me used to the very rustic trails in the southern half of the state, but I would only recommend it as descending route and it is probably not well suited for those who don't  do a lot of hiking.

 I was thankful that the  intersection with the Faulty Trail ( FT 195) was well signed as a little bit of worry had creeped in given that the Cañoncito Trail seemed to be  a less than the well travelled part of the forest.
The Faulty Trail, by contrast was well built, and well maintained. It lies just outside of the wilderness, which may (or may not)  be a factor in this. Unfortunately, the comfortable dirt tread wound in and out of several drainages and up and over  and down the intervening ridges. At times it order to gain elevation to cross over, the trail would turn in the opposite direction it was heading, which was worrisome until I would realize I was beginning another long lazy switchback. It  was an exhausting last couple of miles. It was warm and humid now as well. I stopped where the Armijo Trail (FT 222) moves off to the east and Faulty Trail crosses Armijo Arroyo which back here in the forest had a decent flow of water. I ate my apple and then moved on.
 I could have shouted for joy when I finally stood on the ridge looking down at the intersection on Cienega Canyon that I had passed by more than four hours ago.This was only my fourth hike in the Sandias. I like these mountains and the nearby Manzanos as well, where I've only hiked once. There just too far for a day trip from Las Cruces, but when I'm visiting our biggest city they fit the bill perfectly. And since I've gone exclusively on weekdays, I've encountered few people which is definitely what I'm used to.
 A group, grandma and grandpa with their two grandsons, were coming down as I arrived. It was an easy walk back to my vehicle. The rain started shortly thereafter.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Woman Seeks Elevation said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I have been eyeing this exact loop for a few weeks now. It's very helpful to know what condition Canoncito Trail is in, I've never been on that section of it. I hiked up Cienega a year ago but had conveniently forgotten how hot the climb is, so thank you for that too.

June 21, 2019 at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home