Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Prehistoric Trackways National Monument - Canyon Exploring





































This was a little loop hike ( as many of mine are) utilizing South Rocotillo Canyon and two other canyons ( one of which is named Sandia Gulch according to the off-road route signs posted by the BLM) in the Prehistoric Trackways National Monument. When I arrived a group of older gentleman were beginning  a ATV ride on the SST trail. I parked and walked past as they winched one of their comrades up a daunting hill. I headed down to the Rocotillo Canyons confluence, noticing that the primitive trail to the bottom has become more obvious over last couple of years. I wondered if our book, Exploring Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument, and this blog which both feature a hike to this area are responsible for the area's increased popularity.
 I headed up the very rugged South Rocotillo which never fails to impress with its scenic qualities. The waterfall continues to crumble, but it is still climbable for now. I always take look at the red slabs of Abo sandstone that have broken off canyon walls when I come across it for any trace fossils, and this time lo and behold I found a  trackway of small animals from  280 million years ago. I'm not sure how common  this is, but for me it sure is exciting.


 I proceeded to circle around the  steep mesa on the south side of canyon until I found a relatively easy way up on top.  It was a bit hot, and slightly more humid than recent days, but it's been nice  to hear birds, see wildflowers and greenery at a time of year that usually frighteningly dry.
From the top I headed down the skinny, steep-sided canyon on my left. It was rough going, so I took it slow. I found a nice rock which was studded with calcite crystals, but other than the typical Robledo Mountains' scenery little else to recommend the canyon as destination.
 When it opened up, I moved over to the west and began walking up the adjacent canyon, which was as wide as single lane road, and sure enough I began to see the tell-tale spider web of  white scratches on the larger gray boulders which informed me that  this was route for off- road. Eventually the route leaves the canyon and becomes  the  two track  I had seen up the mesa earlier. I saw a couple of route indicators posted by the BLM that I hadn't realized had been installed in the backcountry. If the idea here is to keep people only on the posted routes, I guess I'm for it, I only hope it works.




 I returned mostly the way I came, taking a long look further upstream at the upper reaches of South Rocotillo as a possibility for further exploring.
 I tried to find the little trackway slab I had seen earlier, and in the process found another one with a few more tracks on another slab.  When I got back to my truck, the ATV group were just returning as well. We'd both been out a couple of hours.

NOTE: I use labels rockhounding and fossils in this blog, but I am changing them it to geology and paleontology starting today. It is illegal to collect any vertebrate fossils( including tracks) on either of our national  monuments here in  Doña Ana County. Check with the BLM regarding any collecting  of invertebrate fossils or minerals.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home