Monday, May 27, 2019

Faulkner Canyon East Fork, Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument



 In between two of three trips I made to Broad Canyon, I did a short outing to what I call the East Fork of Faulkner Canyon. I parked just before the wall of rock that prevents driving straight up the main channel of Faulkner which also happens to be the confluence of this side branch and the main arroyo.
 I began hiking up the wide dry stream bed full of gray sand and gravel. I had spied some areas of bedrock about a mile in on Google Earth, and wanted to check them out for bedrock mortars. Soon I began walking on the benches beside the dry creek bed, looking to the ground for pottery and lithics, but found none. The channel had some low ledges here and there, but I saw no rock art either. It has continued to seem strange to me that in such large arroyo system as Faulkner Canyon, I have yet to find any petroglyphs or bedrock mortars, and only a scant amount of pottery. It would seem a natural thoroughfare for ancient peoples from the desert mountains down to the river, but still I have found little evidence that is was utilized as such.
 I continued hiking and came to the sections of undulating bedrock, which also had the advantage of natural potholes that can hold water, which one deeper one did, but nothing in the way of grinding holes.
 I continued back east a little further and then returned crisscrossing the arroyo and walking on the little mesas on either side where I found little to report.
 I haven't given up yet. There are a couple of smaller  canyons on west side I still need to investigate.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home