Saturday, October 14, 2017

Rough and Ready Hills

Sierra de las Uvas from the Rough and Ready Hills





I did this hour long hike a couple of saturdays ago.  I set my sights on a twin-topped little mountain that sits detached on the east side of the main ridgeline of the Rough and Ready Hills. Not much to report other than there were some nice cliffs, and big  junipers on the north side. I found what  appears to be a memorial, perhaps to a hiking companion, on the south peak. There were some hiking boots, slippers, a whistle, a recorder and some sunglasses nestled in a rock ring. Nearby was a little brass candle lantern and tiny bell hanging from a limb on a small juniper. I'm guessing the stuff has been there at least 20 years, but I really have no way of knowing. The hiking boots,women's Vasques, that were bent and dessicated, may be the only item could be dated with any certainty.

 Of course, initially,perhaps due too much Law and Order watching in my younger years,  I thought I was coming across a burial and would soon find some bones poking out of the ground.
  You never know what you're going find out in the desert.
UPDATE: I went out a few weeks later and hiked from a cattle tank going west to east across the northern end of this small range. I used the uppermost branch of Faulkner Canyon which actually begins on the west side and then cuts through the low hills. Nothing much to report other than the tall grass that grew in the wet summer is now dry and blowing in the winter wind.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home