Monday, September 25, 2017

White Gap Draw- , Las Uvas Wilderness,Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument












 I noticed the narrow little section of White Gap Draw back in the spring on my hike to Chivatos Canyon and Plateau. It looked interesting enough, that I told myself I'd get back there soon for little morning hike.Well the opportunity arose on the last weekend of summer 2017. I started out near the turn-off for the primitive road that ascends Chivatos Canyon. White Gap Draw is one of the large upland tributary arroyos along with Choases and Kerr that coalesce to form Broad Canyon. Its name derives from a peak of white volcanic ash that rises above on the north side.

 On my little hike I saw wildflowers and hundreds of butterflies.

 Cows and calves grazed in the abundant fading green of the bunch grasses. I looked for signs of ancient peoples in the cliffs and boulders, as well as the bedrock of the streambed,but found none.
When I got up out of the canyon I headed toward White Gap Tank on a bit of the old road that heads up to Little White Gap. I cut across  on top the mesa back toward my vehicle stopping under a tiny juniper to drink, and admire the green land of mountains and mesas all around me.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home