Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Broad Canyon Arch - Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

 



I have seen this arch from below, but I hadn't ever seen it from above. I had half-heartedly tried a couple of times to locate it on the ridge without success. A few weeks ago I had the rare opportunity to take my fellow adventurer Doug Scott on a hike here in my own home territory. We went out to Lichen Canyon (a tributary of Broad Canyon) to visit its little box section and 100 foot dry waterfall. I told our little group (Doug,Doug's son Talus, and friend Weston) about the arch. We hiked up out of the canyon and began wandering around the crags and towers that are perched 200 feet above Broad Canyon. It looked like we were going to be unsuccessful, when Talus caught eye of it and lo behold without too much effort we had  found our arch. It's about eight to ten feet wide and about five feet tall. It also has cracks in many places. So get out to see it before in crumbles.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home