Saturday, January 13, 2024

Pueblo Ruins Hike - New Mexico State Trust Lands, Catron County




















 We did this little hike back on December 30th, 2023. It was a warm winter day (50 degrees) and the wind was mercifully light. I have scoped out many ruins sites  within a reasonable trip from our cabin at Horse Mountain. Most are on private lands and are off limits, but some, like this one, are on State Trust Lands and a few are on BLM and Forest Service lands as well. It was a bit muddy with the snow that had been falling earlier in the week now melting in the lowlands, but we got to our destination with little problem. I had read that this was a pithouse site, but I don't think it is.  The rubble is definitely built up from what may have been more than one story of stonework and  I could definitely make out the lines of room blocks in the abundant fallen cobbles. Sherds and lithics are everywhere and it seemed that this pueblo was a similar size to the one at Gallinas Spring. I had a very strong flash, struck with the presence of the people who lived here while looking at the very human imperfections of lines painted on one sherd. It made me smile to the bottom of my soul oh so briefly and for a second or two I felt connected to something I couldn't express, nor will I ever be able to correctly express, but I will keep on trying. NOTE: visiting State Trust Lands requires a recreational permit that is available online from the State Land Commissioner. SECOND NOTE: We do not collect sherds or other artifacts. Not only is it illegal, it is wrong.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Duke Sheppard said...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing these adventures.

February 16, 2024 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

You're welcome and thank you.

February 16, 2024 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Greg in New Mexicoo said...

Is this anywhere near Eagle Peak Wilderness study Devon?

February 19, 2024 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

It's about 20 miles to the east.

February 20, 2024 at 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to go to this area. Can you share directions or more info? Thanks in advance.

April 11, 2024 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

If you give me an email address. I don't like to publish directions on the blog to most archaeology sites, unless they are already well known. We continue to have sites looted here where I live Doña Ana County. Remote sites like this one are still very vulnerable.

April 12, 2024 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home