Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Dry Canyon Trail ( FT 5774 ) - Lincoln National Forest









After purchasing my Christmas tree cutting permits at the Lincoln NF offices in Alamogordo, I had a few hours to kill before sunset. I decided on the closest forest trail I knew of : FT 5774, Dry Canyon.
 I have passed the access road to this trailhead many, many times while driving on US 82 to more lofty destinations in the forest, and I've always wondered what this trail would be like, but there are  more than a few reasons why it has never been high on my list of choices when visiting the Sacramento District. Even from the highway, it looks more like a desert hike than a forest one, and if I want to hike in the desert it makes more sense to stay closer to home. Near the trailhead there is a recreational shooting area. Beside the fact that I don't particularly care to be around folks shooting guns, I don't like listening to the gunshots the whole time while I'm hiking. There are frequently open bed trailers parked at trailhead also which means, as with many Lincoln NF trails, you will be encountering  motorized traffic during your hike.
Well, all of these were proven to be valid concerns before my 2 hour walk was over.  In addition, the scenery, while nice when scanning distant peaks and cliffs above,  when looking closer to the ground   was the typical desert shrubbery that takes over when an area that is over utilized by livestock.  " Meadow " areas were thick with cow patties and well cropped grasses.
 About 1 3/4 miles in  I went up a side road on the east and found the culprits lounging around in the dry stream bottom where the now contained and piped Dry Canyon Spring # 2 is located. Exploring this canyon ( Rock House Canyon) might be a more worthy destination at some later date, but not one I had time for that day. Back on the main trail I passed an old corral, and walked another 1/2 mile or so, crossing the gravelly creek a couple of more times before turning around.


 I met a local couple on the way back whom I chatted with briefly. Initially there were understandably surprised when they thought I traveled all the way from Las Cruces to hike " this trail ?" I explained about the permits which made it seem a bit more reasonable.
 I've hiked about a mile of the upper end of this trail in the forest, and now a couple of miles of the lower end. There is still around 2 or so miles in the middle I haven't seen, but they may not be worth it, or at least not from the bottom end going up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home