Monday, September 30, 2019

Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument - Broad Canyon plus desert exploring













A couple of weeks ago I led a hike to Broad Canyon. It was the first time  I'd been there during the summer months. It was nice to to see the ash trees full and green.  It was overcast the entire morning which kept temperatures in the low 70's which was  also very nice. We had a couple of close encounters with rattlers who didn't rattle which wasn't so nice, but it was to be expected given mild weather and the fact that it was September the month in which of I've seen more rattlesnakes than any other.

We did the standard route downstream from the Kimball Place. Water was flowing through the sand in places. Brown puddles filled hollows in the bedrock. The recent rains had also cut crevices across the road going down in the canyon which made the driving rough enough  to necessitate leaving one of the  cars from our group at the top of the mesa.
 I'm never quite sure what to make of other's reaction to this place. I think it's one of the crown jewels of our Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument, yet I frequently get the feeling that many people I've brought there are underwhelmed by the experience.
 The week before, it was too hot for hiking, but I did do some driving around in the desert with occasional foot excursions interspersed. I followed the powerline road south of Reichey Butte  through some low hills and then turned around where route came to the flatlands on the west side.
 I got out and walked around once finding some household junk ( but no remnants of a trailer or house) and this mysterious sign.

 Then I went out driving on several county roads in the immense basin surrounded by the uplands of the Uvas, Rough and Readies and the Sleeping Lady Hills. I've explored there often always hoping to find some evidence of ancient occupation but have so far come up empty.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Wish I could have joined! Let me know if you decide to go back. Out of curiosity, do you know what species of rattlesnake you saw? I am always very interested in the herpetology of our region. Thank you, as always, for the post.

October 9, 2019 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

I'm not the best at snake identification. They weren't blacktail rattlers, which have the easy black tail segment to spot. I assume they were western diamondback, but if someone said they were prairie rattlers, I'd be okay with that. I have seen a banded rock rattler ( for sure) in this canyon back in May.

October 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Thank you!

October 10, 2019 at 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home