Monday, October 23, 2017

Broad Canyon Wilderness, Sierra de las Uvas- Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument








There's a few reasons why I am not always so specific with my directions with these "walkabout" hikes I do in the Sierra de las Uvas. The first is it's little challenging to give directions like" the third side canyon in from the west, on the south  side once you leave the parking area after about a half mile of walking," and really expect people to understand and find whatever it is I'm talking about.
 Now I could use maps, GPS coordinates or Google Earth images, but I'm never going to do that.
To me that's not what this blog is about.
 The second reason is that there are an abundance of archaeological and cultural sites in the Uvas, and it would go against promises I've made to just lead people  by the nose right into these areas.
 Last, I feel like it's always better to find some little gem of a place, if you feel you've been led there by your own wits and not at someone else's urging.
That all being said, I was out again on a Sunday morning with friends David and Nancy Soules exploring canyons and mountain tops in the Uvas, just trying to see what we could see.  We started out from Valles Canyon Road near Tailholt Mountain and our return trip retraced a part of hike I had made back in July. It was a beautiful day, if a bit warm for mid- October, and we pleasantly spent five hours trekking through the yellowed grass,pink rock, windswept green junipers,  brittle scrub oaks  and dodging the prickly pear. There are worse ways to spend half an autumn day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home