Wednesday, February 8, 2023

October Hike-Horse Mountain BLM Lands

Big ponderosa pines



Alegres Mountain


Horse Peak in the distance












I did this hike behind the Horse Mountain property back in late October. It was perfect fall day, but it was more like three seasons in one with green grass and wildflowers still lingering, oaks turning orange and gold, and a few inches of snow still on this north face of the mountain. I made it all the way to the back of the canyon  where the ponderosas, junipers and piñons gave way to Douglas fir and scattered deciduous oak. It was then on up steeply to the ridge where the massive Mangus Mountain, black with pines, came into view.

 Below me were the upper reaches of  Log Canyon, the only other named canyon in the range.  It was a day I won't forget for a long while, if ever,  a day when the sunlight and shadows deepened my ever-growing affection for this place. As I've said before: perfect, but also necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home