Monday, February 1, 2010

Carbonate Creek-Gila National Forest





I have camped on Carbonate Creek many times,but this time we were just going for dayhike. I was born and raised in Connecticut and when Fall rolls around, I start to get antsy to get out in the forest and see some color.There are maples on the east side of the Black Range, and on the west side the aspens can be spectacular. I opted for the maples this year, mainly because to really get a good look at the aspens involves either a long drive on a rotten road,or a very long day hike. The maples (as well as colorful oaks ) can be seen from NM 152 (Emory Pass road), but it's more fun to get back in one of the canyons and see them up close. They may not be as dense or widespread as the ones in the Manzanos, but there are definitely no crowds to deal with, if you want to go see them. We had to hike about 4 or so miles back in to find a lovely grove of old trees, but the first ones can be seen about 2 miles from where the Carbonate Creek road meets Forest Road 157. IMPORTANT UPDATE: this hike  is within the Silver Fire burn area. I can only hope the maples have somehow survived.UPDATE( March,2016)- Many of the maples have been burned,but many are growing back from the roots. Others survived relatively intact,but a few seemed to have been uprooted and washed downstream in the flooding.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Where in CT are you from? I recently moved to Las Cruces from New Haven, and have been exploring as much as I can.

June 10, 2019 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

Stamford

June 11, 2019 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Hi Devon,
Your blog has been great! I've been reading it in chronological order from the beginning, and I'm maybe half-way through. My fiancée and I have been getting out as much as we can. We moved here in early 2018 after a visit in 2016, and I've quickly become obsessed with the flora and fauna, ecosystems, history, and culture of the state. If you ever wouldn't mind day-hiking with a stranger or two, I would love to join you for an excursion. Cat is finishing up a Ph.D. in geochemistry/climate and I work in clinical pharmacy, but we are very passionate about conservation, many realms of science, wildlife rehab, falconry, field herpetology, etc.
Thank you,
Steve

June 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

Stephen, I don't know if you have it already, I have a book out called "Exploring Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument" which has a lot of hiking information on our 2 national monuments here in Doña Ana County. I work at an elementary school so I'm off June and July and I do get out for day hikes in the morning hours nearby, but I also venture into the Gila,Lincoln or Cibola National Forests occasionally as well. I'd be happy to have folks along if you can get away on a weekday. The book is available from Coas Bookstore, Mesilla Bookstore, Organ Mountain Outfitters, Farm and Ranch Museum, Southwest Environmental Center and the White Sands National Monument bookstore. It's also available online and from me directly.

June 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Hi Devon,
I apologize for the late reply. I will absolutely check out your book! Do you benefit more if I purchase from you directly? Otherwise I'll pick it up from one of the bookstores this coming week. I work a 7 day on, 7 day off schedule, and so am free many weekdays throughout the summer and the rest of the year. I would love to join you sometime, locally or beyond. What is the best way to correspond with you? My email is address is sdbendel at gmail.com

June 20, 2019 at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home