Saturday, September 29, 2018

Sleeping Lady Hills Walkabout-Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument











 I went for a little hike up a canyon in the Sleeping Lady Hills this past Sunday (9/23/30). It was a little warm, but still pleasant. The summer rains had the place seeming almost lush especially when compared to winter time hikes I've done there. Grasses on north facing slopes were thick. Junipers and prickly pear were plump.


  I saw red tail hawks, lizards,  a jack rabbit so big I though it was a fawn and many tiny birds flitting about in the shrubs. I also accidentally put an owl out of his or her daytime perch. Cliffs and boulders were inspected up to and along the ridges in all three upper branch of the canyon. But all that was found was an old, but well preserved can of luncheon meat in the shelter provided from a leaning boulder.
I call this a walkabout as I have other hikes in the area, because the Sleeping Lady Hills have only one named feature Reichey Butte and I wasn't particulary close to it, but rather just wandering on nameless canyons and hills.
Reichy Butte

I did happen upon a good horse/cattle trail that may used for rides out from the Corralitos Ranch which I had good views of from the saddle at the back of the canyon.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home