Thursday, April 12, 2018

Circle Seven Creek Camping 2018- Gila National Forest

Circle Seven Valley










  IMPORTANT UPDATE (June, 2022):  This area is within the Black Fire and is mostly likely significantly altered from what is pictured here.
The road to Circle 7 Creek is rough. With a trailer in tow, it took  us nearly an hour to drive the 15 or so miles from Winston, climbing in and out of the three drainages (Chloride/Cuchillo, Monument and North Palomas). But it was  worth it when we were finally looking down into the open meadows and widely spaced ponderosa pines of the Circle 7 valley.  It's hard to do justice to the way it makes us feel. We've camped here 4 or 5 times and we'll probably come back a few more times before we're done.

 We hiked down the road and the cowpaths beside the streambed in the evenings, once to the old homestead on Whiskey Spring Creek, another time to the campsite we used a couple of years ago. There's always something more, something different to see each time we walk it,  and I wonder how those rock formations, or that pine stand on the south side escaped my notice before.



We parked our little Casita just a short ways down on FR 730 from the windmill and well at its intersection with FR 157. Turkey feathers were everywhere at the large site, so I guess turkey hunters had been also.
We saw bats in evening, and watched the full moon rise to throw moonshadows over the silent junipers and oaks.


 It's dry there this spring. The only water for miles around was coming from the still pumping windmills where birds perched on the metal rim of the low tank to sip. I talked to one couple who passed by in their pick-up out for day drive, but otherwise saw only one other vehicle for three days.
So remote, so peaceful, so beautiful, it seems no wonder that settlers tried to make a home here, although they probably had other interests on their minds.
Go out there once if you can, it will calm your soul.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful Place

May 1, 2018 at 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Devon, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Circle 7 creek area. The Circle 7 creek area was always one of my favorite areas to ride. The water in the upper well was crystal clear and very cold...extremely refreshing.

One story I would like to share, and maybe you can help shed light on the situation. We got up as usual before sunrise that morning in July of 1965. We saddled up and rode to the lower Circle 7 well, then over to Willow Creek, we rode up Willow creek near Sugarloaf peak and at some point, crossed over into Whiskey Springs Cyn. The area was extremely rugged, and I recall it being rather dangerous on horseback. About mid-morning we were riding a ridge just north of Moccasin John Mtn when on the ridge just beyond a steep narrow canyon a few hundred yards away lay a mostly intact corrugated metal skinned aircraft. I asked my father if I could make my way over and take a closer look, normally my dad wasn't forceful with replies, but this time it was a straight "No." We were a long way from medical attention and now realize had I gotten hurt making my way over it would have been a bad situation indeed.

Years later I searched the area on Google Earth and the airplane is not there.

A couple of years ago I contacted the Black Range Dist. office in Truth or Consequences and was told the plane had been removed but provided no details.

This was a large aircraft, possibly a Ford Tri-motor and would have been a major and expensive operation to remove. I also contacted the main FS office in Silver City for further information about the removal project and they seemed reluctant to provide details regarding the airplane. I'm still curious about the exact type of aircraft and what was eventually done with it...

Would you possibly happen to know anything about the 1940's/50's airplane crash in the area and its eventual removal???

Best regards,

Dave

December 23, 2021 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Devon Fletcher said...

Wow! I have never heard that story. Thanks for sharing it. It seems super strange that they went to the trouble of removing the debris in such a rugged area. What could have been in that plane?

December 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rugged indeed Devon. All those years ago I was stunned the pilot was able to put the airplane down in literally the only place he could and survive. The airplane appeared to remain intact other than the landing gear. The two pilots were both uninjured and I believe walked out to either Hermosa or the Dines ranch. The Forest service has been focused on removing as much man made material from wilderness designated areas as possible, Reeds cabin, etc. There's still a fairly large steam type engine along the trail in the upper Morgan cyn that is still there as far as I know. The Moccasin John Mtn.airplane crash should be more well known than it is and and surprised I can find nothing regarding it. Had I not seen it with my own eyes and the FS seeming reluctant to provide information you could almost believe it was never there. The trail we rode as mentioned was close to the most dangerous I had rided in all my years at Hermosa. We were checking the area for cattle that day and were still several mile from the ranch house. It would have taken me at least an hour to get across to examine it, thus time and potential danger is why my father wouldn't let me take a look. If you still spend time in the area and happen to hear anything, by all means, please let me know... Dave

December 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Circle Seven Canyon was flash flooded in the winter 2022, the road is in XXX rough shape and some the canyons meadows are gone, leaving piles upon piles of boulders from the flood. However it's still soothing to the soul.....

November 16, 2022 at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home